Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Bunting Quilt


 During the month of January I started Project Get Organized. My little family and I are going to be moving in a few months and I wanted to go through our stuff and donate or trash the stuff that wasn't worth moving before my 2nd trimester energy disappeared. (If you were curious, I'm in my third trimester now and the energy is gone, but Project Get Organized was a success!)  When I got to my crafting corner I realized I had a LOT of unfinished projects. So I made a list of projects that I had to finish up before I could start any new baby sewing projects.

First up was this bunting quilt. I saw this Rainbow Bunting Quilt by A Pretty Cool Life on Luvinthemommyhood's Baby Bonanza 2 years ago. I bought a charm pack of adorable vintage style fabric at the International Quilt Festival for the project and the charm pack sat in my fabric trunk for several months.

Then after my successful chevron quilt last summer, I decided to start the bunting quilt. I bought some white muslin, cut out the triangles and a cute little bird silhouette, and ironed wonder-under to all the triangles and bird. Everything was placed in a ziplock bag ready to be assembled, but then the pregnancy nausea began, and the project was tucked away for another several months.
Once I sat down to work on the quilt it came together VERY quickly.
I felt like the quilt needed a little something more, so I added a bird that I cut out on my silhouette.
For the back of the quilt I used "Pinwheels" from Sarah Jane's Children at Play collection. For the binding I used an orange polka dot fabric I bought from JoAnn's on clearance for $1 a yard (how could I pass up buying a yard of it and sticking it in my stash??)
After I quilted the bunting, I thought the quilt needed a little more stitching in between the buntings so I free-handed some clouds. I love how subtle they are (unfortunately I had a really hard time photographing them, and they are hard to see in the picture)

I love this quilt so much! I think I might hang it up on the wall in my daughter's room when we move into our new home.

Hooray for finishing up projects!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute! You make the best quilts. You make the best everything.

    So will you be moving no matter where you match? Aren't you excited for next month?

    ReplyDelete