Monday, February 10, 2014

A Baby Doll Dress

Christine loves to help me sew. She even has her very own sewing machine. It came from a garage sale that I paid 10 cents for. (It's one of those toy sewing machines, and it doesn't have all its parts- like foot peddle, needle, or bobbin- so it doesn't exactly sew, but it does have a light that turns on and off) Christine loves her sewing machine and  uses it to "help" me sew. She likes to help me make decisions on what to sew, what fabric to use, etc. So every once in a while I try to let her have full control.
For this project, Christine decided that Madeline (her baby doll) needed a new dress. I pulled down my basked of large fabric scraps, and she chose this green floral print leftover from this top. Then I let her look through my pattern collection and she picked out Simplicity 3572. It's a simple dress with a cute peter pan collar and a ruffle along the bottom. The back closes with velcro.
The pattern is for 12-14" dolls, but as you can see, it was way too big for Madeline (who is 12" big) so annoying! But Christine doesn't care, and that's what's most important. (next time I will make some serious adjustments to the pattern)

If you were curious about the baby doll cradle, my dad made it for me when I was a little girl. When I flew to Utah two months ago, I brought home the cradle with me. Christine was so excited. We promptly made a little mattress and pillow for it, and Christine wants me to make a quilt too, but that will have to wait just a little bit!!

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet and lovely! I made so many doll's clothes as a little girl and I still love doing it. So quick and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete