Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pants for Baby Doll tutorial

Remember those sleeves that I cut off the pajama shirt yesterday? Well, I couldn't just throw them away could I???

Nope, those sleeves were just the perfect size for some baby doll pants, and Madeline needed some pajama pants. Christine is always telling me that Madeline needs more clothes.
Do the baby dolls in your house need some pants? If you have some shirt sleeves, you can sew these up in less than 30 minutes. Which is good because if you use up the scraps immediately it's resourceful and kinda of awesome. If you hang on to the scraps of a t-shirt for "someday I will do this" you become that crazy lady. You don't want to be that crazy lady.

If you were curious, our baby doll is a 12-inch "You and Me" doll. The sleeve scraps were from a size 3T pajama top.
To start, I held the t-shirt sleeve to the baby doll and cut the top off about 1/2" above where I wanted the finished waist to be. I cut mine 5 1/2" long
Next I made a slit going down one side from the waist to the crotch. Mine was 2 1/2" long
.
Turn one leg inside out
and slip one leg inside the other (so the right sides are together)
Match the two legs together, and pin together.
Sew together. I used a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine.
Turn right side out, and they are looking like pants already!
Now, with a 1/4" wide elastic measure the waist of your baby doll. You want it to stretch a little bit.
Sew the elastic together
Attach to the top of the pants. The elastic will be a little bit smaller than the waist of the pants.
Sew with a zig zag stitch. You will have to stretch the elastic as you sew.
This is how it will look
Now fold the elastic over to the inside
and sew (again with a zig zag stitch- the zig zag allows it to stretch)
This is how it should look
And you're done!
Go find that baby doll and get her dressed in her new pj pants!

2 comments:

  1. My little kid has this doll too! Only his name is Toto. Nice tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet idea! The jumper of my girls doll is so old that your tutorial will save my day! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete