Saturday, June 23, 2012

Chevron Baby Quilt: The Conception

I fell in love with Aneela Hoey's fabric line "A Walk in the Woods" this spring while I was searching for some fox fabric. My sister was planning a woodlands themed baby nursery at the time and asked me where she could find some cute fabric. I did a search at all my favorite fabric spots and found this adorable fox print, and decided I NEEDED it! But I have a tendency to hoard fabric so I told myself I couldn't buy it unless I first found a project to make out of the fabric. (My sister ended up changing her nursery theme to elephants so I couldn't even buy the fox print to make something for her!)
image from Spice Berry Cottage

A few months later I saw these cute toddler bed sheets made out of the pink red riding print, and I loved the idea of using the fabric for bedding!  I decided I wanted to make a quilt for my daughter. I have wanted to make a baby quilt since I was pregnant, but I had a terrible pregnancy and was hardly able to do any sewing, let alone a  make a quilt.
image from Prudent Baby

I dug around my files of bookmarked tutorials and found this cute chevron quilt pattern that is made from pieced squares instead of triangles (much easier!)

This is a BIG project for me and I tend to get distracted on large sewing projects. So my plan is to post every Saturday an update of my quilt progress. Hopefully making myself accountable to have something to post about each week will force me to keep working on the quilt. 

This weeks progress: I bought my fabric from the Etsy shop Spice Berry Cottage.  I looked at several online shops and Spice Berry Cottage had all the prints I wanted for a good price (cheaper than bigger shops like The Fat Quarter Shop). To order the fabric I looked through the inventory to make sure they had all the prints I wanted and then sent a message to the shop (by clicking the "contact" button). I asked them for 2 1/2 yards of red riding hood in pink (for the back piece) and 1/2 yard of  the grey, pink, and blue prints (for the chevrons). They emailed me back in just half an hour telling me that they set up a custom order link for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS