Monday, July 16, 2012

Box Pleat Shorts: Sewing Along with "Shorts on the Line"

I love sewalongs. They are the reason I created this blog, so I could join in on the fun! How could I resists participating in Shorts On the Line?
shorts on the line button
For the last three weeks, Imagine Gnats, Designs by Sessa, and Small + Friendly have been hosting guest tutorials for all sorts of shorts! My pinterest board is now chalk-full of shorts design ideas, patterns to buy, and tutorials.
 When I imagined this pair of shorts up in my head, I wasn't sure if it would work. I wanted boxed pleats to add fullness to the shorts, but I wanted them to gather back in at a cuff. I wanted a flat front but elastic in the back. There were a couple of tricky parts that I had to pull out the seam ripper for and re-do, but I think I was successful.

I know there are a few parts that would have turned out better if I had bought a pattern. But creating a pattern from scratch is half of the fun. 
My favorite aspect of these shorts is the color. Tangerine is such a trendy summer color right now.If anyone is wondering, I used Kona Cotton in Tangerine from fabric.com

Check out the "shorts on the line" flickr group for more fun shorts.

3 comments:

  1. Love the color! I looked in the shorts on the line flickr group and these would get my vote. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these! You are so creative - I am jealous! I also love the paper bag shorts as well! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hopped over from Shorts on the Line's flikr group, and these are precious! My girlie is 12 months, so I look forward to your write up of the tutorial and pattern!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS