Monday, August 6, 2012

Kitchen Towels for Charity

I mentioned a while ago that I was asked to help the relief society (ladies church group) with a service sewing project. They wanted to do a simple project and they wanted it to be for a service. I contacted the local hospitals, Ronald McDonald House, and Women's Shelter to see what type of things they were in need of. It came down to pillow cases for the children's hospital or dish towels for the women's shelter. I thought learning to embellish dish towels would be something the ladies might be more interested in. So I went with that.

I started with the idea to make these pretty ruffled towels from Craftaholics Anonymous but the more I talked with other women who owned sewing machines who were coming, the more I realized this was too ambitious of a sewing project to tackle (some of the women were just learning how to use their sewing machines). So I got online looking for simpler ways to embellish kitchen towels, and I found this simple tutorial at Craftiness is Not Optional. It's not as ruffly (and I love me some ruffles), but it was much easier to teach.
We also needed a non-sewing project, so I found this great tutorial on Houzz for painting flour sack towels. I bought fabric medium and mixed it with acrylic craft paint. This was cheaper than buying fabric paint, plus gave us better color choices.

I think everyone had a fun time decorating the towels. When everything was finished we brought the towels to the local Women's shelter. I hope that the women there enjoy their new towels.

If anyone is looking for a fun service project to do, this worked out really well.

1 comment:


  1. Buy bed sheets online from Cottonaffairs Save up to 90% off luxury bed linen, quilt covers, sheets, pillows and towels. Cottonaffairs offer the best bed linen online.FREE shipping* Fast delivery.

    towels

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS