Tuesday, September 10, 2013

PRP: POPOVER DRESS REMIX

Project Run and Play is here!!!!! Let the fun begin!
This week's challenge was to remix the Oliver + S popover dress pattern.
This remix is a cap-sleeve tunic made from a (Liberty?) floral cotton and unbleached 100% linen. The bodice is lined with some white sheets from Ikea ($2 for a flat twin sheet, it's thin and not good for real clothing but perfect for linings and did I mention soooo cheap!)
I began by drafting a new bodice piece that included cap sleeves. I kept very close to the original yoke pattern piece to keep the skinny yoke and square neck line.
I added a little fullness to the dress piece so I could add a tiny bit of gather in the center for a little added interest.
I wanted to keep the "Oliver + S style" in my look so I did an Ice Cream Dress back closure, with a fabric covered button.
Next I added "Sally Dress" pockets (pockets sewn into the side seams and hem).
Christine loves pockets. They are perfect for hauling around all her treasures.
Lastly, I drafted a pair of leggings (I scrapped my last legging pattern attempt and started over with some REAL drafting not just tracing some store bought ones woohoo!) I made them capri length and added a little ruffle along the bottom.

Now for a little tangent...
I wanted to share my "muslin" too. I actually started by cutting out the bodice from some scraps of purple fabric, just so I could make sure that the bodice fit before I cut out the bodice from the floral print (I only had a fat quarter so I didn't want to mess up). I had loads of linen so I cut the skirt portion as well to make sure the length was good-- and I realized the front was a little flat so I added the fullness for the gather the second time around. As you can see, the first round I added the bias tape all the way around the sleeves. But I didn't love it, so in the final look I finished the sleeves with the lining and only used the bias finish on the underarms of the skirt.
At that point I was in love with it, so decided I wanted to finish it, so I added some cute fabric from my scrap pile for the pockets and bias trim. THIS is why I hang on to little bits and scraps of fabric!

Not bad for a practice version, right? I actually had a hard time deciding what one was my favorite/which one to link up.

Check out more sew along remixes at the linky party and the competitor's versions over at the Project Run and Play blog

16 comments:

  1. Angela, beautiful work!. I like lots your version. Liberty fabric is so nice and luxurious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love fabric you used and anything with pockets is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Christine loves pockets so I've started to add more pockets to my sewing. Pockets are always a good decision!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work. I've never seen pockets like that. What a brilliant idea! Love the ruffles on the leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I could claim credit for the pocket idea, Shannon from luvinthemommyhood is brilliant (she's the creator of the Sally Dress where the pocket idea originated).

      Delete
  4. Very very pretty Liberty fabric. Love the combination of the dress fabrics and like the way the inspiration pattern is still 'there'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I just browsed through you peplum shorts tutorial. Oh my those are really cute shorts! I'll be making those for one if not both of my girlies. Thankfully it is warm here well into November, so I may even get to make them this year! Yay.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I totally agree that a good remix has the original pattern obviously incorporated. So happy to hear that you like the peplum shorts :) I would love to see pictures of your finished shorts if you make them!!!

      Delete
  5. This is really cute! Great job. Love the back closure! I'd love for you to link your outfit to our Fall Clothing Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both versions are darling! I love the way the bits of print jazz up the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the clean, modern look of your remix grabbed my attention right away - love how your modified the pattern! And those pockets are so great - like how you sewed them into the side seam and the contrast binding along the top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both versions are gorgeous, but I love the fabric in the final version! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, so, so lovely!!!! I love how both of them are different, but so wearable and darling!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are lovely, but I love the color combo on the muslin! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, this is loooooovely. So so amazing. I'm finding myself more and more drawn to simple fabric with fun accents instead of overall fun patterns, it just makes such a nice statement.

    And seriously, this is killer. Great job. And nice to "meet" you. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS