Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Downton Duffle

Yesterday I mentioned that I just sewed the cutest coat ever. Here it is: the Downton Duffle
I was lucky enough to get to help pattern test this coat. I sewed it up in two days and it was a lot of fun. This pattern definitely challenged my sewing skills (toggles, separating zipper, and sewing with faux fur were all firsts for me) but not in a "throw the coat across the room" kind of way, more like a sewing class piece, where at the end of the pattern I was thinking "wow I can't believe I made that!"
I think Jacob looks adorable in his coat. I am in love with those elbow patches. I need to add elbow patches to all of his clothes!
I used a brown corduroy fabric, a green flannel for the lining, and this great faux fur for the hood lining. The fur was CRAZY to cut. whoa! if you sew with this stuff I recommend cutting the pattern pieces in your kitchen so you can sweep up the flurry. My kitchen looked like I killed a grizzly bear in there. Fake fur was everywhere. It's totally worth it though. I love it and want to sew more!!! I saw a giraffe print at the store that was calling my name.




Gah! I could just stare at it all day. I can't wait for it to get a little bit colder so he can wear his new coat!

2 comments:

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS