Saturday, February 15, 2014

Foxy

Today's "around the sewing room" is a fox quilt block I've been working on this week.  I saw this fox quilt block on pinterest this week and I was in love. I had been brainstorming different ideas for a quilt block to make into a pillow for Jacob's room. I was thinking of perhaps a nine-block, but a 52 multi-sized triangle block is SO much better, right?! I bought the pattern from SchenleyP's etsy shop without knowing anything about paper piecing.

I was a little disappointed that the pattern didn't come with any instructions. So I headed to youtube and typed in paper piecing and after a few videos thought "Woah. I think I got in a little over my head on this one!"

I decided to go with Sew Mama Sew's freezer paper method. As I cut out the teeny tiny pieces I kept laughing at myself thinking I was crazy for trying this! this might be WAY too advanced for my skills. But I was obsessed with the fox, so I HAD to try
 Do you SEE those TINY triangles???
Even though I was totally intimidated by this, I was totally addicted. As the shape started to come together I got more and more excited.
If you are going to attempt paper piecing (and you SHOULD because it's so fun!) here are a couple tips

  • number all of your freezer paper pieces with a pencil- all those teeny tiny triangles look the exact same once they are cut out!
  • iron your freezer paper to the WRONG side of the fabric, that way you can see exactly where to sew along the edge. This will make your image reverse, if you aren't okay with that you will have to reverse the image of your pattern before you trace
  • iron every seam. I didn't do this at the beginning and did at the end. I can totally tell a difference.



Can you tell which section I did first? the ears didn't line up perfectly ug! I should have ironed! oh well. This is going to make an awesome pillow top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS