Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Project Run and Play: March Challenge

It's time for the March Project Run and Play Challenge! This month's inspiration pattern is the Knot Dress by Me Sew Crazy/The Sewing Rabbit.
For my take on the knot dress, I envisioned a spring dress. The sleeveless knot dress was too summery for little miss's spring wardrobe. So I decided the first thing I would do is add some sleeves. I used the Sally Dress pattern and traced the armscye onto the knot dress bodice and chopped off the knot ties. Then I just used the Sally Dress elbow length sleeves.
I kept the back the same, except instead of the knot ties, I just inserted a invisible zipper. Usually I have no trouble with invisible zips, but for some reason this zipper was a pain. I think it was the silk wanna-be fabric. It wasn't my friend.
I used a size 3 bodice and used the size 4 length on the skirt. I used two fabrics for the skirt a pink kona cotton for the underlay and this silk-look poly for the top. I extended the silk about 2 inches longer than the underlay. As I said, the wanna-be silk was a PAIN to work with. ug. It was fraying out of control. This type of fabric requires french seams on the sides and a narrow hem. Which I really like, but I guess I just need more practice (and a finer needle) to get the fabric to not look so tortured. Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous and has a beautiful drape, I just don't want anyone to examine my seams too closely.
At this point I was feeling like I had removed the essence of the knot dress, and I needed to bring more back into the design. So I decided to add a knot at the neck. I took pictures of how I added this detail and will have a tutorial up in the next week!
Lastly, I whipped up a cute headband to go with the dress. Recognize the stretch lace? (and the bird fabric for the dress too) I used CINO's felt bow tutorial for the bow.
On a completely unrelated tangent, don't you just love the blossoms on my little peach tree? We planted it a year ago, and I've managed to keep it alive!




The tutorial for how I modified the bodice will be up in a few days so check back next week or follow my Zuzzy pinterest board or like the new Zuzzy facebook page to be updated when the tutorial is up.

Check out the other PR&P March Challenge entries here

7 comments:

  1. absolutely darling! I love everything about it, especially the colors. And I love the look on her face, she seems to love the dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bright, girly colors too and the fabric used on the bodice is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is adorable! The bow and invisible zipper add a nice touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I really like it, and I hope little miss does too! I never know with her. The pink was completely accidental. I went to the fabric store for a solid orange kona cotton for the skirt but then I saw the poly-silk and fell in love with it, they didn't have any orange, so I went with pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Love the colours. So Eastery for some reason;) and the blossoms are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very spring-y! Your mission was accomplished so sweetly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty!!! I love the keyhole opening in front!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS