Thursday, April 23, 2015

Project Run and Play: April Challenge

I've been sewing! Check off green shorts and Project Run and Play shirt off the KCW list!

This month challenge inspiration is the Reversible Sling bag from Sugar Bee crafts. I thought it would be really fun to remix it into a boys t-shirt. I loved the contrasting stripes on the bag and decided to focus on that one element.
I used the flashback skinny pattern and shortened the sleeves for short sleeves. Then I sliced the pattern into thirds for the color blocking like the purse. I already had the perfect blue/grey striped knits in my stash from Girl Charlee.

For the back I decided to slice the pattern at a diagonal. I think it turned out pretty cool. I never would have thought to color block with stripes without this challenge, I'm definitely going to do it again.
For the shorts I made a pair of Chestnut pants, cut off 5" from the hem, then rolled the  hem up 1.5" for some fun spring shorts. I forgot Jacob's waist measurement and he was napping at the time so I guessed on the elastic length, and as you can see the pants are a little loose. I'll probably unpick the seam and pull the elastic out a little more so the pants fit better. On the cuffs, I didn't like how the white serged seam allowance was showing so I lined the seam allowance in bias tape for the cool stripe on the cuff. I choose an aqua/mint fabric to go for the blue/green color combo that's popular right now.
See? somebody says it's trendy right now.

3 comments:

  1. I love the color blocking in the shirt well done. I also have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your thinking "out of the box" and noting the stripe blocking concept and applying it to a shirt. I can tell that you are very creative and notice even the smallest detail.
    Deborah @ Sew Much To Give

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I almost did stripe color blocking like that on my daughters dress, but she insisted she needed flowers instead. :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS