Thursday, August 27, 2015

Farewell Summer: Embroidered Top and Box Pleat Shorts

Project Run and Play's theme this month is hand work! So much fun. My readers know how much I looooove embroidery. Remember this dress? or this hoop art? Swoon. I should embroidery more.
For my entry I wanted to sew something that could be worn to preschool, so a top and shorts it was. I've been dying to use this beautiful blue floral print that I picked up at Joann's a few months ago. Doesn't it look Liberty-esque? I picked out my embroidery floss to match the colors of the fabric.
I wanted a tunic that would highlight the embroidery. I wanted to make it obvious that the whole outfit was inspired by the embroidery design and feel. I didn't own anything that fit to my vision so I ended up drafting my own. It's a basic bodice with cap sleeves, the bodice is angled down to a point in the front and back to add interest (and make sure this tunic didn't look too similar to my KCW dress from last spring)
I debated on the closure for the back of the dress for a while. Just ask my sister Jessica. Here's our texts from a week ago:

Me: "What do you think about exposed zippers? Does it look cool or like I don't know how to sew a proper zipper?"

Sister: "I just bought a shirt with an exposed zipper that I love, but it I think it might look weird on children's clothing. You should do a regular zipper"

Yep. Exposed zipper it is. Thanks Jessica!
I like how the modern element keeps the outfit from looking "little house on the prairie"


And the shorts! Anyone recognize them? They are my box pleat shorts pattern from FOREVER AGO! These shorts have a special place in my heart. I graded them up, and they look just as adorable on Christine as they did three years ago. I've wanted to make these shorts into a real pattern for a long time, but I wanted to get a couple easier patterns under my belt first. The pattern is almost ready for pattern testing except it's the end of the summer. I kinda missed the seasonal pattern deadline there. Well, next spring the box pleat shorts are coming to the world!

I wanted to add embroidery to the shorts back pockets to add more handwork to my look. I tried, multiple times. First with a fairy, then a unicorn. I hated them all. It just wasn't meant to be. I think it was the thickness of the twill fabric. It was too thick and made my stitching look terrible. I'll post pictures of the fails soon so you can see what I mean.
Last, but certainly not least, the embroidery. I have so many embroidery patterns I've collected that I have yet to stitch up, it was hard to choose which to use. I ended up choosing to stitch this adorable one by Sarah Jane. I love this illustration, it reminds me of Christine gathering up her summer wild flowers. The butterflies floating away as the last days of summer float away.


As always, check out more fabulous outfits at the Project Run and Play link up. Be sure to check back and vote for the top ten next week!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet, practical, fun outfit! I love the shape of the top and it's perfect with the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know what to say, this is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really adorable outfit <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling embroidery & I love the exposed zipper!
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS